Wednesday, April 7, 2010

True Friends?

You always hear that you never really know who your true friends are until you experience a time of crisis. This is never more true than when you have a child with Aspergers. When my daughter was born 7 weeks premature everyone we knew was there to support us, to help babysit when we needed a break and even pitched in while my husband was deployed.

Over the years our support dwindled. I worked from home for awhile, making it easier as we needed less child care. But the stress from dealing with two children with disabilities has taken it's toll. We can't just call up the local teenage girl to watch our children as they would be unable to handle a meltdown if one were to happen. I would be afraid for the safety of my child as the meltdowns have the potential to push you near your breaking point if you are not trained to deal with it. I have to say it's funny as my husband and I have never been "trained" to deal with it, but I guess with all the on the job training we are doing okay.

We now have very few people to watch our children and even trying to find someone to watch my kids so my husband and I can go out for my birthday is hard. This can cause added stress by not getting a break from the daily struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment