Monday, April 5, 2010

Death and Aspergers

Dealing with a death in the family can be hard for any family. It can be even more emotionally traumatic for a family with children like ours. Since both children have differing disabilities they respond to things in different ways then expected at times.

Yesterday, on Easter Sunday, my Father-In-Law passed away. My children had seen him the day before and we were surprised by his passing, even though we had a few signs that it would not be much longer, we were thinking a month or so longer. The chaos of dealing with the situation did not go well with our children and although we were able to have them picked up and taken to my grandparents it caused a lot of stress and disrupted their routines.

When I picked up the kids from my grandparents to take them home, the kids asked me what was going on. My husband wanted us to tell them together, so I told them when we got home we would talk to them. The kids heard me ask if we needed an ambulance earlier in the day and knew it had to do with Grandpa. In the car the kids said that they were worried because Grandpa was older and Hunter said that Grandpa would be a spirit sometime soon and Shana said he would go to heaven. It broke my heart and impressed me how well they understand life.

They both were very sad by the news and cried. Hunter cried in a way that surprised me. He sobbed and immediately said that he missed him.

We are concerned with how Hunter will handle the services, and if he will have more meltdowns from the stress of dealing with this extra loss. Today the kids are playing and seem unaware of the stress we are dealing with. They are fighting and Hunter had a meltdown over a toy not being the way he wanted it. We ended up throwing the toy away and this made him mad but it seemed like the best option. We will have to take it a day at a time and see what they need each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment